Bournemouth back in the Premier League thanks to Moore’s winner

Bournemouth have gained automatic promotion to the Premier League thanks to Kieffer Moore’s strike against Nottingham Forest.

Moore settled a tense game with a neat finish from a superbly-worked free-kick to secure second place for Scott Parker’s men after two years in English football’s second tier.

Forest, who needed a victory to overtake the Cherries in the standings, will now have to rely on the play-offs to end their 23-year top-flight exile.

Bournemouth had a promising start to the game, with Philip Billing forcing a brilliant save from Forest goalkeeper Brice Samba in the fourth minute.

After cutting in from the left, Billing’s curling attempt appeared headed for the far corner until Samba threw himself down to knock the ball behind for a corner.

The Cherries earned a pre-match boost when David Brooks, their Wales midfielder, declared on social media that he was cancer-free.

In the seventh minute, the home crowd gave Brooks a standing ovation in honor of their number seven, who was watching from the executive boxes.

Djed Spence’s fantastic defense-splitting ball placed Sam Surridge through on goal in the ninth minute, and Forest could have grabbed the lead.

Surridge, a product of Bournemouth’s development system, let his previous club off the hook by smashing his effort against the crossbar with goalkeeper Mark Travers out of position.

Three minutes before halftime, Travers hauled down Surridge inside the 18-yard box, giving Bournemouth a huge let-off.

Travers was rescued from a penalty by the assistant referee’s offside flag, but TV replays revealed Surridge had perfectly timed his run.

Bournemouth’s first significant attempt of the second half came from top-scorer Dominic Solanke, who blasted into the side-netting after a through-ball from Ryan Christie.

On the hour, the home team was forced to make a substitution as midfielder Jefferson Lerma limped off to be replaced by striker Moore.

Billing came close to breaking the deadlock in the 66th minute after outmuscling Ryan Yates on the outside of his own penalty area, but his shot was blocked by Samba’s legs.

After the Scotland international had burst free in the area, former Bournemouth captain Steve Cook made a remarkable stop to divert Christie’s shot away from goal.

The Cherries were already comfortably up, and Samba was called upon again 20 minutes from time to deflect Jaidon Anthony’s stinging attempt.

Seven minutes from time, the home team received the goal they deserved for their efforts.

Jordan Zemura’s daring run earned a foul on the penalty spot, and Billing brilliantly slid a free-kick into the path of Moore, who coolly dispatched the ball into the far corner.

It was just the third goal of the Wales international’s injury-plagued Bournemouth career since joining from Cardiff in January.

After their team survived eight minutes of injury time to clinch their top-flight comeback, the home supporters surged onto the field at full-time.

Leave a Reply