Chelsea 1-0 West Ham: Christian Pulisic’s Last-Gap Goal Saves Jorginho

Chelsea defeated West Ham 1-0 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon, putting a stop to their recent dismal home run.

Chelsea defeated West Ham 1-0 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon, putting a stop to their recent dismal home run.

The first half was very quiet between the two teams, with Thomas Tuchel’s Blues unable to produce much in the final third.

When the Blues returned for the second half, they rapidly started to put more together in the final third, but they still failed to break the tie.

After a hard 90 minutes of play, substitute Christian Pulisic managed to put his team ahead in the last minute of the game, giving the Blues the three points.

Chelsea were unfortunate in the warm-up before Sunday’s encounter when Andreas Christensen was ruled out due to a stomach spasm.

The opening 10-15 minutes saw little activity between the two teams, with the exception of Said Benrahma standing on Cesar Azpilicueta’s foot, breaking his boot and causing him to change.

In the 17th minute, Benrahma took his team’s first attempt on goal, but Edouard Mendy had it all under control.

Trevoh Chalobah had the ball trapped in his foot a minute later, but he quickly recovered by regaining control.

Chelsea has made a lot of defensive errors in recent weeks, resulting in three straight home losses.

The Blues launched multiple attacks in the first half, led by Timo Werner, Mason Mount, and Kai Havertz, but they were sluggish and indecisive in the final third.

N’Golo Kante was forced to pitch in a few times to inject some flair, but Thomas Tuchel’s men failed to put anything together.

Tuchel’s team’s every attempt was quickly thwarted by West Ham’s tenacious defense in numbers.

David Moyes’ strategy seems to be to conserve players like Declan Rice and Jarrod Bowen for their European night on Thursday.

Instead, the east Londoners maintained their lines, preventing the Blues from generating many chances, and sought to break on the counter-attack whenever possible.

As the two teams re-emerged for the second 45 minutes, neither side made any changes.

Chelsea’s first meaningful chance of the second half came 52 minutes in when the ball dropped to Timo Werner within the 18-yard box, but his shot was blocked by Craig Dawson.

The home side kept the pace high and put plenty of pressure on the Irons in the following minutes.

Not long after, Andriy Yarmolenko found Tomas Soucek, who had West Ham’s greatest chance of the game thus far, but Thiago Silva managed to block his effort.

Just before the hour mark, Trevoh Chalobah fired a 30-yard shot at Lukasz Fabianski, but the Hammers’ goalkeeper had it covered.

Mark Noble was replaced 62 minutes into the game by former Blues phenom Declan Rice.

According to sources, the 23-year-old saw the next half-hour as his ideal tryout for a possible future transfer to Chelsea after recently rejecting down his third contract offer.

With neither side able to break through, Thiago Silva decided to take matters into his own hands in the 68th minute, gliding through to the Hammers’ penalty area from halfway.

However, his attempt was rifled right into the back of an offside Timo Werner, and the opportunity was squandered.

A minute later, Mendy made two key stops as Yarmolenko almost put his team ahead.

Mount and Werner were inches from making it 1-0 Chelsea less than 30 seconds later, but excellent defense from Dawson prevented it.

Timo Werner came agonizingly close to scoring after 74 minutes as the ball dropped to him on the volley from eight yards out. Fabianski was once again on hand to deal with the situation.

Havertz, Werner, and Loftus-Cheek were all replaced a minute later by the trio of Romelu Lukaku, Hakim Ziyech, and Christian Pulisic.

Craig Dawson, who had played a superb game in West Ham’s defense, hauled down Romelu Lukaku inside the away side’s box with less than 10 minutes left in the game, resulting in a penalty.

Dawson was awarded a red card after a swift VAR ruling for denying Lukaku a great goalscoring chance.

However, in a big letdown for West Ham, Jorginho went up to take the penalty and fired it right into Fabianski’s palms.

However, much to the chagrin of the visitors, a quick low cross from Marcos Alonso saw Christian Pulisic ultimately strike the back of the Irons goal in the 90th minute to secure a late triumph for the Blues.

Leave a Reply