Barcelona president Juan Laporta expressed his surprise that Ousmane Dembele and his agent did not respond to the offers made to the club for the contract extension.
Laporta hinted that the French international’s chances of carrying the Barcelona shirt again were slim for the remainder of the season.
The Barcelona boss said Xavi would decide whether Dembele would play in the second part of the season after refusing to renew his contract. Barcelona had asked Dembele to renew his contract or leave during Monday’s midnight transfer window, but the French striker made no decision, saying he would not be “blackmailed” by the club.
Laporta revealed that Dembele had turned down an offer to join an English club on Monday on the last day of the transfer, adding that Barcelona believed the player had already decided his next destination when his contract with the Catalan side expires on June 30.
Asked if Dembele would play for Barcelona in the remaining games of the season, Laporta said: “it’s up to the coach. “But what I think is that the coach is playing for this season and next, so it will be difficult for any player who has not renewed his contract to play, especially since he will leave the club at the end of the season,”.
Barcelona sporting director Jordi Cruyff went the same way: “the club has hired players who can score goals. “Xavi has more choices in this position than in December,” he said.