Manchester City advances to the Champions League semi-finals after a tight draw

Manchester City advanced to the Champions League semi-finals following a 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid on Wednesday night.

Man City needed just a draw to get to the last four after winning the first leg 1-0 at home last week.

Following Phil Foden’s heroics off the bench in the first leg last week, Pep Guardiola started him at the Wanda Metropolitano.

At The Etihad, Foden came in as a second-half substitute and quickly supplied Kevin de Bruyne with a superb ball for the game’s lone goal.

Guardiola made two changes from the 2-2 draw with Liverpool on Sunday.

Raheem Sterling, who went to the bench, and the suspended Gabriel Jesus made way for Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez.

Ruben Dias, who has been sidelined with a thigh injury since the beginning of March, was also among the replacements.

Atletico were severely chastised for their defensive tactics in the first leg, but they showed more offensive intent early on.

However, their rough side was on the show, with Felipe catching Phil Foden with a hefty charge from behind, leaving the City midfielder with a bandaged head.

City got the game’s first genuine chance just before the half-hour mark when Gundogan struck the post following brilliant link-up play between Mahrez and Kyle Walker.

While Atletico got their first attempt of the game when Geoffrey Kondogbia’s 25-yard strike bounced off De Bruyne and into Ederson’s arms.

Atletico began the second half on the offensive with a corner, while Thomas Lemar cut inside and attempted a shot that Rodri stopped.

Joao Felix got his head to a Marcos Llorente cross from the right, but it was just a little too high for the Portuguese star.

And on 57 minutes, Atletico Madrid came as near to scoring as they had all game when Felix sent the ball to Antoine Griezamann. However, France’s star shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

Substitute Rodrigo De Paul then shot wide with his first touch after being sent the ball just inside the right side of the penalty box.

De Paul then volleyed wide after a left-wing cross found him in space.

As Atletico sought to turn the screw, Angel Correa shot wide from a tight angle.

With eight minutes remaining, Luis Suarez was given a runout, with Diego Simeone ringing the changes.

Correa chested the ball down for Matheus Cunha, but his effort was diverted off a goal by a great stop by John Stones.

After a scuffle on the touchline erupted after Foden was fouled, Felipe was sent off in stoppage time.

However, City came close to scoring when replacement Sterling supplied Gundogan, but Jan Oblak saved his shot.

Correa then fired a shot at the goal that Ederson saved, but City held strong to set up a battle with Atletico’s local rivals.

Leave a Reply