Rangers defeat Leipzig 3-1 to reach the Europa League final

Rangers have advanced to the Europa League final after defeating RB Leipzig 3-2 on aggregate thanks to a dramatic 3-1 semi-final second-leg win.

In the greatest game at Ibrox in 50 years, Light Blues captain James Tavernier leveled the tie in the 18th minute with a close-range strike after trailing 1-0 in the first leg in Germany.

Midfielder Glen Kamara scored a fantastic second goal from 20 yards only six minutes later, and the Gers supporters were in dreamland at the break.

France forward Christopher Nkunku leveled the game with a brilliant volley in the 70th minute, but Gers midfielder John Lundstram blasted in with 10 minutes left to seal a spot in the Seville final against Eintracht Frankfurt.

After Rangers reached their first European final in 14 years on a never-to-be-forgotten night in Govan, the frenetic quest for tickets, flights, and accommodations to Spain has begun.

Rangers, who were playing their 18th game in UEFA competitions this season against Leipzig, had had an amazing trip.

After considerable speculation, striker Kemar Roofe stayed out injured, while Aaron Ramsey was judged fit only for the bench, and Joe Aribo was given the job as a primary striker.

Midfielders Ryan Jack and Kamara, as well as striker Scott Wright, returned, while Scott Arfield, Steven Davis, and Fashion Sakala were benched.

Domenico Tedesco, the manager of RB Leipzig, welcomed back Willi Orban, Kevin Kampl, and Mohamed Simakan from suspension, with the latter two starting.

Rangers’ most crucial game at Ibrox since beating Bayern Munich 2-0 in the second leg of the 1972 European Cup Winners’ Cup semi-final on their route to winning the cup, and the stadium rocked beforehand with the roar of ecstatic Gers supporters.

Rangers vs Leipzig

Following a minute’s sympathy before kickoff in memory of popular kitman Jimmy Bell, who died on Tuesday, both teams fought desperately for possession.

In the seventh minute, visiting goalie and captain Peter Gulacsi stopped a long-range effort from Jack before Orban headed a corner over at the opposite end.

Tavernier, who scored twice against Braga in the previous round at Ibrox, delivered the first blow, racing in at the back post to knock in a cross from Ryan Kent after good work by Kamara on the touchline.

More mayhem followed as Aribo put in Wright to set up Kamara, who directed a left-footed effort from outside the area beyond Gulacsi’s extended arms.

Ibrox was in a frenzy.

After being set up by Tavernier’s header from Borna Barisic’s long ball, Aribo miskicked from five yards out.

Just before the halftime, the makeshift center-forward collapsed to the ground after stopping Angelino’s thunderous free-kick with his face and was replaced by Sakala.

With defenders Connor Goldson, Calvin Bassey, and Barisic booked in the first half, the host side had to be careful – while still posing a danger – as the Bundesliga outfit sought a tie-breaking goal.

As the visitors started to dominate, Wright and Jack were replaced by Arfield and Leon Balogun shortly before the hour mark.

Gers goalkeeper Allan McGregor made a fantastic stop from Konrad Laimer’s shot, but he had no chance seconds later when Angelino crossed from the left for Nkunku to volley in from 10 yards and the pendulum seemed to have swung back in favor of the visitors.

But only until Lundstram pounced on Kent’s left-wing cross, which was cleared to his feet 12 yards from goal, and he happily smashed it low into the net.

Rangers were in route to Seville.

Leave a Reply