Successful Haaland debut carries Man city against Bayern in rainy 1-0 game

In a rain-soaked friendly at Lambeau Field, Pep Guardiola’s men defeated Bayern Munich 1-0.
Erling Haaland scored his first goal for Manchester City as Pep Guardiola’s side defeated Bayern Munich 1-0 at Lambeau Field in Wisconsin on Saturday.

The game was cut to 80 minutes due to two lightning delays in the vicinity, one before kickoff and one in the first half.

After Guardiola declared him over the injury “niggles” that kept him out of City’s 2-1 victory over Mexico’s Club America in Houston on Wednesday, there was plenty of time for City’s new $61 million striker Haaland to make an impact in his first appearance.

Manchester City had twice threatened before a close-range goal by Bayern’s Serge Gnabry was disallowed in the seventh minute due to a narrow offside call.

Haaland hit five minutes later. After Riyad Mahrez’s free kick was blocked, Kevin De Bruyne intercepted it and slipped a pass through for Jack Grealish, who whipped it over to Haaland, who connected from close range.

Unfortunately, another round of electrical storms forced the players off the field and the near-sellout crowd of 78,128 at the famous home of the NFL’s Green Bay Packers to seek shelter in the concourses.

The start of the game had already been delayed by over 20 minutes due to inclement weather.

The diversions had no effect on the joyous atmosphere for the first professional soccer match ever staged at Lambeau Field, with a few brave spectators even braving the pounding rain and risk of lighting to stay in their seats during the stoppage.

With 27 minutes remaining in the first half, Haaland thrilled the City fans in attendance by sprinting through behind the Bayern defense.

A charging Dayot Upercampo booted the ball away before he could shoot.

Despite Manchester City’s dominance, Bayern had a fantastic opportunity in the 38th minute when a cross from the right found Alphonso Davies at the far post, but his pass across the goal face didn’t quite reach Gnabry.

Haaland almost made it 2-0 a minute later, but his left-footed drive from within the box was disallowed for offside.

After 40 minutes, Haaland was replaced by recently signed striker Julian Alvarez, who nearly doubled the score in the 43rd.

Despite a flurry of substitutions in the second half, tensions between the Premier League and Bundesliga champions remained high until the finish of the shortened match as Bayern – who began their brief visit with a 6-2 thrashing of Wayne Rooney’s DC United – sought an equalizer in vain.

Both clubs were on their way home after the game, with Manchester City facing Liverpool in the Community Shield the following Saturday and Bayern facing RB Leipzig in the SuperCup final.

Leave a Reply