In the 2023-2024 season, the FC Barcelona men’s team will play at the Lluis Companys Olympic Stadium. On Tuesday, it was announced that the club and the Barcelona City Council had reached a deal. This was done through the company Barcelona de Serveis Municipals (B: SM), which runs the field the team will use while the Camp Nou is being fixed up.
Barca president Joan Laporta, along with institutional vice-president Elena Fort and Espai Barca manager Jordi Llaurado, and the first deputy mayor and president of B: SM, Jaume Collboni, went over the terms of the agreement at an event in front of the main facade of the Olympic Stadium, which was the famous site of the 1992 Olympics. Barça will be able to use the stadium from August 2023 to May 2024, and it will have enough seats for about 55,000 people. The club has the right to use the building on game days and to get ready for and clean up after games.
Barça to play at the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys in the 2023-24 season. All the details:https://t.co/6k0A4XDavx— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) June 21, 2022
FC Barcelona will also be able to use the stadium regularly for training and other sports events. This season, the women’s team played the quarterfinals and semifinals of the Champions League at Camp Nou. The agreed-upon transfer of use includes not only the field and the terraces, but also the press box, the locker rooms, and the indoor parking areas, among other spaces.
The club’s technical services are currently figuring out what changes need to be made to the facilities to meet the needs of the different competitions the team plays in. FC Barcelona will pay for these investments.
President Laporta has said that the club thinks the move to Montjuic will cost between 15 million and 20 million euros. To make it easier for fans to get to the Olympic Stadium, the City Council and FC Barcelona are working on a mobility plan to improve public transportation and sustainable mobility. They have also set up special maintenance and security services to make sure the mountain is affected as little as possible. These things are expected to cost 7.2 million euros. Barça will pay for 64 percent of that, and the City Council will pay for the other 36 percent. The municipal contribution will go toward investments that will become permanent parts of the local infrastructure.